About us / What Is Ice Cider?
Ice Cider was developed in Quebec, Canada in the early 90s and is an ice-wine made using apples instead of grapes.
In 2005 a denomination of quality was established in Quebec. The denomination states that the apple juice used to make Ice Cider must be concentrated with the help of natural cold.
Very few places in the world can guarantee a recurring cold season to meet the Quebec standard. Northern Sweden is one of those places and our winter temperatures in combination with Swedish apples formulate the basic components to make our Ice Cider.
About our production
Using the naturally cold outside winter temperatures we freeze apple juice to concentrate its natural sugar levels.
In spring, again working with the weather as our only ally, we extract a starting ice cider must with a sugar content of between 35 and 40 brix.
The must is fermented slowly to become an amber colored ice wine with equal parts fresh apple, acidity, and warm autumnal apple sweetness. No additives such as sugar, alcohol or coloring are allowed in production. We do not pasteurize or add any industrial food preservatives such as sorbates.
Denomination Of Quality And Origin
We follow, with a few exceptions, the rules determined for ice cider production in the region of origin, Quebec, Canada.
Ice cider is a sweet wine produced by fermentation of apple juice in which the concentration of sugar has been achieved using natural cold.
In addition the following must be observed,
- The raw material must be derived by 100% from cidery pressed, unconcentrated, natural apple juice from Swedish grown apples.
- Additions of industrial preservatives such as sorbates is not allowed.
- Flavor or color additives are not allowed.
- Additions of alcohol is not allowed.
- Chaptalisation is not allowed.
Ice cider facts
Ice Cider is a sweet wine produced through the fermentation of apple juice that holds a sugar content of at least 30° brix before fermentation. Concentration of sugar is to be done using naturally occurring cold*.
Alcohol content in the finished product must be between 7 and 13 percent by volume and residual sugar must be at least 130gr/L.
- Starting juice must be constituted of 100%, unconcentrated natural apple juice from Swedish grown apples.
- No addition of preservatives.
- No addition of flavors or coloring.
- No addition of alcohol.
- Chaptalization is not allowed.work continuously from year to year to refine the blend of apples that shape our Ice Cider.