Using the natural winter cold of Northern Sweden we concentrate apple juice on the best Swedish apples and ferment the sweet must into an ice wine, an ice cider, with equal parts fresh apple acidity and warm autumnal apple sweetness.
Brännland Icecider Barrel Aged Barrique 2021
Sometimes a wine maker’s job is about waiting and Brännland Iscider Barrique 2021 is an example of
– When we first tasted the wines that were slated to become the final blend we weren’t at all
happy. Despite a prolonged ageing time, the wines were not ready for bottling. After some
discussions we decided to wait for as long as was needed which turned out to be another six
months on top of the normal twelve, says Andreas Sundgren, founder of Brännland Iscider.
There are several reasons for this vintage taking longer than normal to mature. The goal was indeed
to prolong the ageing time starting with the 2021 vintage by only working with larger 500 liter barrels
from renowned Fassbinderei Stockinger in Austria. Jancis Robinson once described these barrels as
“The winemakers Strad”, referring to the equivalent of a Stradivarius.
The larger barrels slow down the pace of maturation but the wines chosen for the barrique 2021 also
spanned across a wide range of expressions, from very sweet wines low in alcohol to unusually dry
wines high in acidity.
– The end result is by far the heaviest wine Brännland Iscider has ever bottled in volume but the crucial balance and tension that we seek in every vintage is firmly in place and the barrique 2021 offers everything and more that we’ve come to expect from a Brännland Iscider Barrique, says Andreas Sundgren, founder of Brännland Iscider.
- Deep gold flecked amber.
- Ripe apple embraced by notes of dark roasted vanilla, butterscotch and lightly whipped cream sweetened with demerara sugar.
- Fresh, ripe apple with generous sweetness. The high acidity creates tension, carries the sweetness and leads the oxidized, creamy, toffee finish.
- 9 %
- Residual sugar
- 220 grams/liter
- Total acidity
- 20.5 gram/liter
- September 2023
10 000 bottles, 187 ml
- Serving temperature
- 8-12 degrees centigrade
- Exceptional ageing potential.
Pairing Cheese, desserts with
apple and berries, foie gras.